After years of uncertainty, the USS Texas, a century-old battleship, has secured a long-term lease at Pier 15 in Galveston. The decision ensures its future as a historic attraction, but new challenges remain.
.jpg)
Recently, the Board of Trustees of the Port of Galveston decided to grant a long-term lease for the historic USS Texas at Pier 15, ending a dispute that had been going on for two and a half years regarding the battleship's potential future site.
A turning point that finally pushed all sides toward an agreement was the board's decision in October to cease negotiations with the Battleship Texas Foundation. This decision followed the board's decision to suspend talks. Tows were used to transport the USS Texas from the San Jacinto Monument to Galveston in August 2022 to undergo substantial repairs. The ship had been closed to the general public since 2019.
The battleship's custodians initially suggested Pier 14. However, they later suggested Piers 20 and 21, home to Landry's restaurants and other establishments. Businesses located on the water's edge, such as Katie's Seafood House, opposed the idea, stating that the warship would obstruct the view of the harbor.
Furthermore, the position became less viable due to worries regarding the extreme weather dangers at Piers 20 and 21.
At Pier 15, the United States Ship Texas will dock in a direction perpendicular to the canal, which will enhance its resilience against hurricanes.
Tony Gregory, the foundation's CEO, indicated that the decision ushers in a new era for the battleship.“We couldn't be happier here,” Gregory said as this opens up an entirely new universe of opportunities.
Once the location has been determined, the focus will shift to the schedule for the battleship's full reopening and the funds required to finish its restoration. In the long run, the historic vessel will be converted into a museum and educational institution, ensuring its heritage will be preserved for future generations.
.jpg)
Ball High School has opened a new $200 million campus in Galveston, funded by the district’s 2022 bond program. The facility expands academic and career training programs and marks the first time one comprehensive high school will serve all island students.
.jpg)
After 13 years as a cornerstone of Galveston’s creative scene, The Proletariat will close following a final Fat Tuesday celebration and reopen in June under a new concept. Owner Becky Major says the mission will remain rooted in community and the arts.

Galveston officials say all Mardi Gras parades and events will continue as planned despite rain in the forecast Saturday. The island will host 12 parades this weekend, including the Knights of Momus Grand Night Parade, as part of its 115th annual celebration.