After 40 years of service, the iconic Stewart Beach Pavilion in Galveston is being demolished, marking a new chapter for the popular beach park.

In the last week of November, demolition workers started taking apart the Stewart Beach Pavilion, which was something that Galveston officials had been waiting for a long time. The building was constructed in 1984, but it has been severely damaged by corrosion, erosion, and rising upkeep costs. In March, the city council agreed to pay $158,814 to have it taken down.
The Galveston Parks Board, which is in charge of the pavilion, said that fixing up the old building was getting more and more expensive, costing more than $70,000 a year.
The pavilion's future is still unknown, but talks about redeveloping Stewart Beach Park should move in a more clear direction in the next few days. The parks board hired a company in 2018 to make drawings of a possible replacement, but there have been no official announcements of plans yet.
The Stewart Beach social media team told people who live or visit the beach to "stay tuned" for more information about how the site will be changed. For now, city officials are hopeful that taking down the pavilion will lead to real action in planning the next part of this popular beach destination.
Dangerous rip currents expected at Galveston beaches through May 20
.png)
Increased law enforcement presence at this year’s Jeep Weekend in Galveston County led to smaller crowds and significantly fewer arrests compared to 2024. Officials called the event a success, citing improved safety and no reported injuries.